Thanks to kind donations and fantastic fundraising, Bradford Hospitals’ Charity was able to spend more than £300,000 supporting NHS patients and staff during 2021.
Latest figures show that Bradford Hospitals’ Charity – the official NHS charity partner of Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust – invested in the following during 2021:
- Patient welfare - £147,000
- Staff education and welfare - £114,000
- Medical equipment - £27,000
- Gifts in kind - £26,000
TOTAL : £314,000
Bradford Hospitals’ Charity funded a number of projects and items across the Trust, which enhanced patient experience, treatment and care. Funds were also used to support Trust staff.
Just a few of the projects funded include:
- Almost £15,000 on toys, books and specialist play and distraction equipment for young patients across the Trust. The toys are used by patients in hospital, as well as those receiving therapy in the community. The charity also funded memory making materials for children with life-limiting illnesses.
- Child-friendly privacy screens for young patients in the paediatric recovery wards.
- Additional ECG monitors
- Training aids, such as model skeletons to assist the training of staff in pressure ulcer awareness.
- Patient TVs for relocated cancer services at Eccleshill Community Hospital.
- The development of a training package for school staff to support children with diabetes.
- The development of an app for the Trust chaplaincy service
- The funding of patient WiFi, and the funding of an annual music licence, which allows the Trust to play radio and music in patient areas.
- Two secure cycle storage hubs for Bradford Royal Infirmary and St Luke’s Hospital, which allow staff to store their bicycles safely.
- Furniture and kitchen appliances for staff rooms, which allow our colleagues to have a comfortable space to take a break.
Around 85 people raised money for Bradford Hospitals’ Charity during 2021, either by holding their own fundraising events or taking part in charity-organised events.
Hayley Collis, Head of Fundraising for Bradford Hospitals’ Charity, said: “We are a relatively small NHS charity, but as you can see, we make a huge impact. Our aim is to provide the very best for the people of Bradford while they are in the care of Bradford Teaching Hospitals, and we also make supporting our staff one of our priorities.
“We’re proud to have funded projects which have enhanced services, treatment and care, made hospital visits more comfortable for patients and their families, and purchased items for our NHS colleagues which have made life that little bit easier.
“We have been fortunate to benefit from donations by some very grateful patients, and we have had some fabulous fundraisers who have gone to great lengths to raise money for our amazing NHS.
“As we continue in these challenging, and often uncertain, times, we pledge to do everything we can to provide the very best for Bradford. But we can only do this with your support.”