Safety review opened following Manchester flat fire

    Photo Credit - Aman Thakur

    Manchester City Council has opened a review into fire safety following a blaze at a block of flats in the city centre.

    The fire broke out on Saturday 30 December on the ninth floor of a 12-storey building in Joiner Street, near the Arndale Centre.

    Two people were treated at the scene and a 23-year-old man was taken to hospital by a family member for treatment for smoke inhalation.

    Police said five residents have been temporarily re-housed.

    More from Local and National News

    Listener Club

    Get more with the Listener Club!

    • The Golden Era The Golden Era

      The golden era of Bollywood celebrated in this weekly show full of classics taking you back in time. Every Sunday between 5pm - 7pm

    • Alim OnAir Alim OnAir

      Have you a question about the religious, cultural or tradition aspect of Islam? Then join Hazrat Maulana Fazal Dad in the weekly show every Friday between 8-9pm.

    • Remix Saturdays Remix Saturdays

      Every Saturday evening we turn to remixes of hit songs to get you in the Saturday night party mood! Every Saturday between 5pm - 8pm

    • Legal Show Legal Show

      Once a fortnight we dedicate a show to discussing legal issues and family / matrimonial law in particular. Alternate Friday mornings between 9am-11pm.